Thursday, January 06, 2005

Stealing Comments

i've received a lot of comments on my last post
Steal Now, Pay Never
and i wanted to post and respond to this one in particular:

Anonymous said...

So, not one person commenteed on the fact that stealing is not a GOOD thing to do. I guess no one gives a shit whether people steal or not. Hey, this is ART, so stealing is okay, maybe even cool. I wonder if Ryanne would think that it is cool if I were to come over to her apartment and steal her computer and her video camera. And in the process of stealing this stuff I could document it and then put that on a blog. Talk about life imitating art. How cool would that be?

ryanedit said...

dear anonymous
stealing is not cool. i tried this as a punk ass stunt to see if i could get away with it. and i did. after that, shop lifting became my bad habit and i continued to do so with the premise being "this is too easy and no one is noticing". bad bad bad. so eventually i made myself stop. i have never stolen from an individual, only big stores. this, however, does not justify any of my actions and i understand this. i guess i was just getting the rebel out of my system, one which bloomed late in my life unlike some people who go through a rebelous stage in middle or high school. i have no apologies or regrets for what i did. but i wanted you to know that i'm not trying to tell people that this is ok or cool. everyone does things that are seen as bad by other people wether it's stealing stuff or breaking someones heart, everyone has their opinion on wether it's ok or not. i respect your opinion.
thanks for the comment, i mean this sincerely,
-ryanne

5 comments:

YRG said...

I was also wondering why there were so many positive comments about stealing. I was going to post a comment that I hoped she returned the shoes after making the video, but decided that might be interpreted as a negative reaction to the video. I checked out some of Hoffman's book on Amazon, and the things he suggests doing are very irresponsible and don't promote any sort of revolutionary idea, IMHO. Frankly, I'm surprised at Ryan's disclosure. I considered myself a good friend and I didn't know this about her. That's what's weird about vlogging and blogs-- you can get intimately involved with someone you don't really know. Or find out details about someone's life that not even their close friends know. I don't know how I feel about that yet.

ryanne said...

there's a lot you dont know about me yves. (pulls cape over face like vampire and disappears)
and i'm sure the same goes for you.
we all have dark sides or whatever you want to call it.
i just decide to make that public sometimes.

ce la vie
-ryanne

Dave Counts said...

That the theft appeared to be real is what made it so interesting! In fact, editing the project into the vblog heightens the intensity of the first-person camera in the original video. I'm not saying I approve, either, but I didn't find myself thinking about that until I read Anonymous' comment. I guess it all comes down to whether a viewer sees a vblog more as reality TV or art.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how serious and incredibly literal people are.
I didn't consider it reality.
None of this is. Is it?

My comment on being naughty is that I figured you'd get more attention with this piece. Pushing ideas can get people heated.
Charlene

Anonymous said...

After watching the video I just have one question?

How do you go into a shoestore carrying a video camera and not draw attention to yourself?

Maybe that is the key?
You need to be very obvious when you are going to shoplift.

I'm going to throw on a bear suit and see if I can get away with a new TV from Circuit City.